Monday, August 06, 2007

Lots to discuss

Hey all-

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up with the updates. I'm glad to see there's still a few of you still interested in everything happening in the world of geek. I'm going to post bullet points to keep it short.

1) I am finishing up grad school this month. Thus, not many updates. My thesis defense is Aug 23rd at Northwestern University if anyone is interested in attending.
2) In other happy news, I accepted a job in Los Angeles doing IT strategy consulting. I start in Oct. If anyone is looking for a job in this field, drop me a line.
3) Moving to LA in Sept for the job. Can't wait. I love it out there.
4) A production company has picked up one of the TV shows that I and one of the producers from BATG2 came up with. It's still very early, but it's exciting.
5) Still going strong with the girlfriend. It's been almost a year and a half, which is the longest relationship for me by far. It feels very nice to have someone so great in my life.
6) You might see Karl and I in the casting special for BATG4. We just showed up, hung out with Mike (the host) and got taped a little. It was quite fun whether it makes it to air or not.
7) I heard this season is going to be crazy (this was pre-shooting). Lots of surprises.
8) Sorry I buried the lead, but our season should be reairing on Fox Reality sometime this summer (which is almost over... maybe I/we missed it). Supposed to be 1hr 30min episodes with extra commentary and footage. I'm curious to see what they include. We gave them suggestions, but you never know with these things. They'll probably just add a lot of our commentary like a documentary of sorts.
9) Tuesday is my bday. Not sure what I'm doing for it yet. Suggestions?
10) Ok 10 is a good number to end on. I hung out w/ Danielle, Karl and Brittany this weekend. Still living with Karl. Not sure if he's moving to LA yet, but I'd like him to. He's an awesome person. He's been seeing this girl from cali too. Good times. Oh ya, I finally won at Yahtzee! Danielle is a monster at that game. Dominated us like every game, but I finally won!

Ok sorry for the chaotic post. Back to my thesis. It's almost 4am. Go Bears!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! How's it going??

I'm watching a BatG2 marathon on VH1 (for the 3rd time), and I LOVE IT... This is the best season of all 3 by far!!! I hope you and Brit had won (I'm not sure if I wrote that sentence correct... I'm from Argentina... spanish is my first language), but I also think you both did in a way!

I've been living in Blacksburg, VA for a year now (my husband attends Virginia Tech), and we both are huge fans of the show (but as I said, the 2nd season is the best)...

Hope you have a great life in CA and the best of luck on everything you do!! Keep updating about your life there, ok?

Cheers!

Mariana.

PS: sorry again for my english!
PS2: would you please say hi to Brit for me!? She's such a sweetheart... Love her!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!!

Man, your life seems to be going well. And good luck in LA.

Later,
UberGeorge.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just last night (August 6) watched almost the entire season of BatG2, apparently missing only the first couple of episodes or so. And, as Mariana said above, Brittany seemed to be a real sweetheart - it was nice to see that sort of spirit. I really hope you developed some life-long friendships from the show.

By the way, how did you go from an undergraduate degree in Philosophy to a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering? Oh, and I was interested in studying "Computational Neuroscience" at the graduate school in Northwestern for awhile, until I decided math gives me a headache. (Serious about the interest, not serious about the headache, and serious about not pursuing the interest.)

I am from northern Indiana (technically, Elkhart), and you, sir, are a traitor to Chicagoans and Midwesterners alike - traipsing out for an indefinitely long stay in the sun-and-fun wonderland that is LA, and looking forward to it. May your air conditioner fail you multiple times.

I enjoyed the show, though I always wondered just how "real" some of it was, and am somewhat disillusioned by the revelation about Josh and the girlfriend he had at the start of the show. (I hope he is now comforted, if the story about what happened is true.)



Stoically facing Midwestern winters,

Douglas J. Bender
(Elkhart, IN)
[ douglasjbender@hotmail.com ]

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, not only wont th show die but the issues it raised wont die either!

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry; my bad, I suppose.



Enduring Humid Midwestern Summers,


Douglas J. Bender
(Eklhart, IN)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

Douglas-

Thanks for your interest in me and the show. I hope it's not too late, since I didn't respond right away. Anyhow, my undergrad was in philosophy but I took a lot of applied math classes as an undergrad. phil only required 9 classes, which was less than 1 year of classes. i also took a lot of music theory/composition. the neuroscience was a chance to get paid to learn a new subject. i took a mathematical biology class and loved it so much that the teacher recommended i do the computational neuroscience program.

as for grad school, i did well on my gre's, had good grades and lab experience with the neuroscience, so they took a chance with me. i think it worked out for everyone, since now i'm a doctor of engineering. pretty crazy. i can tell you more if you really care, but that's my story.

the show was pretty real. they never tell us what to say. sometimes they help us say what we're trying to say better. the show basically works because it's people in awkward situation and then forced to talk about those situations too. but it's also because they cast interesting people.

Mariana-

Thanks so much for your kind words. Brit is a sweetheart. such a great girl. i still see her regularly and talk to her almost every day. she's working and traveling a lot these days, but doing well. i wish we would have won too, but we didn't. maybe next time you watch, we will! haha jk. but anyhow, i'm glad you enjoy the show. ok back to work.
Joe

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Say it aint so...

Hey Joe, the first home bears game you miss, and they look like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.... Not only that, but your parents brought a VIKINGS fan to the game... What's up with that? He talked about how bad the Bears were on every play.... And when I say every play, I mean EVERY PLAY! How do I know? Because my friends and I sit in the seats right next to you, same row, North of yours. I think there is only one logical conclusion to this dilema... You're going to have to fly in for every Bears home game for their support! If you can't I think it should be a rule that only BEARS fans can sit in your seats...

I'm assuming you weren't at the game because I read that you're starting a new job in Cali... Hope that's going well, but you'll never be able to top a home Bears game out there!

Good Luck & Go BEARS!

Nathan

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
Luke from season 4 here. I will be out in LA around Sept 13 for the OSU-USC game. Nicole is also in the area, and we were talking about a possible BATG cross-seasons little get-together of anyone who is out around that area at that time. Hit me or nicole up on facebook if you're interested.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home