Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A few tidbits

Hey all-

I have a few pieces of BATG news I'd like to share. First and foremost, my partner and good friend Brittany is moving to LA after the new year. She's very excited and nervous, but looking forward for a change. I don't want to say too much on her behalf, but she's looking to pursue some opportunities here in LA that aren't available for her in Chicago. It'll be nice to have her out here.

I also heard (thanks comment posters and intergoogle and batg friends) that they're doing a BATG 6. I remember reading one of the concerns about the show is that it had played out, but apparently they're looking to go back at it again. There's no reason they couldn't stick to a lower-production formulaic series to make it work (c.f. bachelor). The reception of the show is driven by characters moreso than plot in my opinion. Case in point, Richard is probably the man solely responsible for getting the show picked up for a second season. Without his crazy antics, there would have been no BATG 2 and so forth. While I'm thinking of it, I actually met him a few months ago...

I went to the Fox Reality Channel Really Awards. They already aired so I don't have to worry about giving anything away. But spoiler alert if you are reading. Some of the highlights included having Hugh Heffner walk right past me as well as his playmate girlfriends. I was standing next to Ron Jeremy when the night ended. Got to meet a few of the random reality stars including people from all those VH1 shows that I'll never be able to name for you, some twins from sunset tan or something (you can see I don't watch that much tv) and Nigel from So you think you can dance. I went to the event with Brittany and Aleks (season 2, so you think you can dance) which was cool. Aleks has become a close friend and was a childhood friend of my girlfriend's, so the reality circle has widened slightly beyond batg. I also saw plenty of other random celebs including Traci Bingham, Jerry Springer and Shane Sparks. The tall guy from Top Model was there too, but kept a low profile. I ran into some execs from Fox Reality that I had pitched to previously, so it was nice running into them.

That's all I have by way of an update for now. I don't think I have any pics from the Really Awards but maybe there's one online somewhere. Drop me some more comments. I enjoy them. Glad you guys are still keeping up with the batg world.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, how ever did you get in such an exclusive event? :P

5:01 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

darn it. i knew i forgot someone. dave was the one that gave me the heads-up on the event and got me in. sorry dave (the winning contestant on season 4 of batg). didn't realize you still read this thing. come back soon!
Joe

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

2:56 AM  
Blogger Royalman said...

Glad you are still doing well :) You twitter or anything these days?

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
The world of 'Beauty and the Geek' has only just reached the rainy shores of the UK (It is of course possible that I have just become aware of it as it is shown at 3 a.m here and generally I am not an imsomniac!)so I have only just become aware of your existance.

I found the show throughly enjoyable-what jolly nice chaps you all were! So nice to see programmes where people seem to genuinely like each other rather than jumping over each other to get to the top...of course I am aware having looked on the net that there have been a further 3 series since your series, so I don't know how they went.

Having seen the series and watched the final (nail biting stuff-rather you than me!!!!)I wondered what had become of you all and saw you blog come here. Being a person who reads whatever is put in front of them, I thought I would have a gander and I have to say you are a very good writer. It was jolly interesting and very enjoyable reading.

I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment but I have to say I am a person who, if they enjoy something someone has done, I like to tell them.

Many thanks on entertaining me on 'Beauty and the Geek' by being yourself.

Enjoy life

Laura (from sunny Somerset in England!)

1:27 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

Hey Laura-

Thanks for your wonderful message. I can't believe our season is still airing. Apparently it's timeless. I'd like to think our season was the best, but it'd be hard to prove other than that many of us still stay in touch regularly. I've done a poor job of keeping this blog up, but maybe I'll post some stuff here soon.

Thanks for checking it out!
Joe

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Laura Richmond said...

Hello Joe,
Thank you for responding to my comment. I wasn't expecting any response to my rambles.

Series 3 of 'Beauty and the Geek' has just started to air here...I am already hooked (I am thankful for Sky plus though as at it on at 3 again!!!!).

There already seems to be more tension there though (not among the boys but among the girls-not sure who is suppose to be teaching who about social skills there!!!!)

How many of you are still in touch from series 2? That final must have been horrendous!!!! I am hoping that they do a series where they have the girls as geeks and the blokes as beauties and see how that differs...do you know if they are planning on more...I will be interested to see if they interact differently plus it would be nice for some geeky girls to show the world that they are 'cool' too. we are obviously very behind!!! We did one series here but that it...

It has been great chatting to you. I shall continue to read it as I find it very entertaining (regardless of whether Chris thinks it is dull ha,ha!!!)

Laura

5:16 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

Hey Laura-

Thanks for writing. There were 5 seasons in total. So you'll see quite a few permutations in the subsequent seasons. I don't want to give anything away. That's great that they're still airing. Would would have thought I'd have fans across the world (not me at least). I'm in touch with many of the people from season 2 still. And friends with many others from other seasons as well. I think I wrote a post in here somewhere about who I talk to and what's happening with people.

I really need to post a new blog entry, but just haven't had anything too exciting to report sadly. Stay in touch and keep checking back.

Joe

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Laura Richmond said...

Hello Joe,

Well Season 3 has finished here now...and Season 4 has just began!!! I saw you and Karl on the opening episode. I hope they make some more, if they have only made 5seasons, I haven't got many left (shudder will the thought of my potential withdrawal symptoms!!!)

It must be strange having people on the other side of the world knowing who you are...the thought of being discussed in a Primary School Staffroom in a small seaside town in Devon probably never occured to you when you applied ha,ha!

I think it is lovely to see how the contestants attitudes change over the seasons(With the exception of CeCe it seems!) There seems to be some serious misconceptions altered through the series and people looking at more than appearences...and also some lasting friendships forged.

I wish it had taken off here. We only seemed to make one! Can't see why it didn't take off...there are plenty of Geeks here and Beauties!!!

We had an update on the contestants of season 3 (Did they do one on your season?) I see Mario is married now...nice chap, congratulations to him- I love a happy ending!

Anyway, best be off! I will keep checking back and will stay in touch...looking forward to my next installment on this blog...always very entertaining.

Laura

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Laura Richmond said...

I have just noticed in my writing above that I have used the American term 'Season' in my last comment...obviously read so many of your blogs now that my vocabulary has actually changed! They are called 'series' here, we don't use season at all!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home