Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Milwaukee

This past weekend I was in Milwaukee giving a talk about life as a reality contestant at the national scholastic chess tournament. After my talk, I played a bunch of kids at blitz. I beat them all. I didn't say like anything while I played because I normally trash talk and thought that would be inappropriate. But I played some of the chess teachers that were there afterwards; I had a plus score and definitely got some good trash talking in.

While I was there in Milwaukee, I played drums on my bandmate Matt's solo project stuff (www.myspace.com/forewordmusic). It was me, Casey (one of my roommat'es frat bro's) and Matt. The first night we played in Appleton. It was a long trek. The venue was newer, so it didn't have a regular crowd or sufficient sound system exactly, but we made due. The band we played with had some amazing musicians. The drummer was playing Tool songs, the guitarist listens to and could play Dave Weckyl band and the bassist was amazing as well. But when it came time for them to play their own music....... bad. We didn't stick around because we had a show the next morning in Milwaukee at the Mirimar. Luckily, that show got moved back to 115 pm, so there were a good group of kids there. They were very supportive and enjoyed the music. The label that put on the show liked us and said they'd have us work out some future dates. So that's awesome. Connections in Milwaukee are good. It's not really that far from Chicago, I always envisioned it being further.

I unfortunately don't have any pictures from the weekend to make this blog entry more interesting. The highlight had to be when the three of us all got our own pies from baker square and proceeded to eat them for snacks throughout the day. I opted for the triple berry, Matt had french silk and Casey had lemon marangue (sp?). mmmmm. I had been wanting a triple berry pie for quite a while and in fact we drove out of our way to get it cause Casey saw a baker's square on his way into town way up north side of the city.

This weekend is going to be a busy one. Friday, I have an art show that my neighbor is participating in. He paints on cardboard. Then I'm going to meet my lunch buddy Chandu out at a bar in wicker park. Then saturday I have the Bears draft party with my father. I can finally wear my Rex Grossman jersey proudly!! Then that night I'm going to root for Danielle in the WLUP 97.9 Rock Girl Contest at Joe's on Weed st. And then probably get dinner and see a play that I wanted to see for a while. Then Sunday, I'll watch the draft and do some housework.

That's about all for now. Maybe I'll see some of you out at Danielle's event? I have no idea who reads this thing besides my mom. Hi mom.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's probably still some lurkers around like myself... Who basically thought you were interesting enough on TV to kinda wonder what you're doing with yourself.

One thing that I realized after a couple episodes, was that a lot more attention was placed one people who got eliminated that episode or were going to be eliminated... So when I noticed you and Brittany got a bit less screen time initially I figured you guys were going to be sticking around longer.

-Max, the Math/Stats Major from Canada

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey joe. great update! you're total rock star now :)

i'll be done with my home tape by friday, and will have to send it out right away. thanks for the few pointers you gave.

i might make it to Joe's bar on Saturday night, so I might see you there!

Naz from chicago's casting call aka UICukie

6:24 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

hey guys-
thanks so much for responding. if even just one person responds, it's enough motivation for me to keep writing. cause otherwise it's just my mom who reads this and I may as well just call her, you know?

as for the video submissions, i think doing funny stuff and really showing them what makes you geeky is important. i showed my massive book collection and summarized some of the books. i also invented the contra dance (which i think i explained before). i showed them my minivan that i drive. i showed them the beach where i play chess. i showed them my ability to find good parking spots. i showed me running after the ice cream man. i showed them my work. i did an interview w/ a friend at work. i think the main thing tho is have a story. have a niche. it makes it easier for them and you.

rock star... not yet, if ever. im going out tomorrow to some event and my gf said she's going to dress me, which is both exciting and humbling. haha.

as for camera time, had i watched the first season i would have realized a lot of things about getting air time, and getting good airtime. maybe that'll be another post. ok im rambling.
Joe

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, that would be an interesting post... How you get air time on BatG.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, be our guest: i couldn't believe some things you did on the show: like blowing your nose on the faux-date with Sarah :)
was that your part of getting airtime on the show? :)

Nazar aka UICUkie

6:55 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

the blowing the nose was a lose lose situation. my contacts were bothering me and i had just taken some afrin cause my nose was clogged. that combination lead to a runny nose. if i leave the room, they'll also edit it so that something that sarah said makes me leave the room. honestly, the date went really well but they didn't show much of it so you couldn't really get a feel for it.

Also, that episode was the lingerie one, where they tried to make me look like a perv. The reason is that the story person for that episode in charge of coming up with the plot/story was at her job. And I told her that. Her questions weren't probing (during our interviews) and she had NO previous knowledge of anything that happened in the house. She had no enthusiasm and clearly was devoid of passion, so I told her that. That's why I looked bad in that episode and not others. I could have looked bad in ALL the episodes, but then again, everyone could have. There were always things they could have put in there. They have hours and hours of footage. Ok I'm rambling again.

As for airtime, I just meant that comments about the challenges, your partner or other teams are what make it onto the show, not the day to day interaction with the other random people in the house. ok that's about it.
Joe

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Just thought that I would let you know that I am out here, checking in from time to time on what you have to say. It's nice to read your comments, keep them coming.
P.S. I was pulling for you and Britt to win.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!

First of all, I think you did a great job on the show. As the show is now also in the Netherlands(!) on TV I think it's quite popular. Couldn't resist to download a whole season right away instead of watching 1 episode every week. Very interesting to read all the behind the scenes info and your thoughts. I think it's great you made friends of the show, which would definately not be the case when the show would be aired with Dutch snobby girls. :P
But one question I have: how did the map-challenge IRL go. Did Jenn and Ankur went to the shops at all? Can't believe that they were like 8 hours in a van, without getting out.

Keep up the good work! From the Netherlands (yes, the country with the tulips, wooden shoes and drugs :P)

Aleksandar

4:45 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

Aleksandar-
Jen and Ankur did take quite a while and they did make it to every shop. The downside was that the longer it took to find the places, the more you got stuck in rush hour traffic to some extent. But they did finish the challenge about 1-2 hours later than us. We made one wrong turn, which of course they didn't show, that cost us the challenge really. But I'm certain Cher and Josh would have won in the elimination room anyhow. And Jen and Ankur did get out when they went to go get the stuff at each store. Well, technically the girls were supposed to stay in the car. So Cher cheated and I called her/them on it, but they said all the teams bent the rules a little. They even show her and josh running outside the car to find the third store. No hard feelings though.

I'm really slacking w/ the show reviews. I'm sorry guys. Just got plenty going on and never really in the mood to rewatch them. I think Tyson made me a dvd with all 9 episodes (8+casting).

Also, there's a chance of a reunion show now I hear. Or at least an update show. I'll keep you posted. Cheers all.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear that there might come a reunion show or some kind of update show.

Keep us informed about that please.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home