Tuesday, April 11, 2006

How to get on a reality show!

Hey all-
There has been some interest in how to get on a reality show. But honestly this is only one third of the equation. Not only will you want to get on, but you probably don't want to look stupid should you make it. And finally you're probably hoping to win or at least do well on the show. I'm going to give some pointers--but of course not all--about how to get on a reality show. I'll save the other two topics for if I ever decide to write a book or something! Ok here we go.

How to get on reality tv. Most shows are looking for something different than the next, though there are some consistent things. Unfortunately, some of my suggestions are geared toward beauty and the geek for obvious reasons. I listed a bunch of questions here that will help determine if you're a good candidate (and the questions that the casting people are thinking about when interviewing you):

1) do you freeze under pressure? camera shy?
This is very important. Many quality candidates can't deal with cameras or end up trying too hard and don't come across well. The best approach is to be 'aware' of the cameras, but don't think about it or let it get to you. Also, if they ask you hard questions, don't be afraid to pause briefly or to say I don't know. In some ways they want you to say stupid things, but honesty is the best policy.

2) are you a lost cause? can you be helped?
This question is moreso for potential geeks, but has larger implications as well. For geeks, it means that are you stuck in your ways or so far ingrained in geekiness that you're not going to change or welcome change. More generally, it means are you willing to listen, change or participate in various activities.

3) do you have a story? a niche?
Everyone loves a story. This question basically asks are you one dimensional (do you have hobbies and passions?) or was something in your life out of the norm. A story or niche gives helps in defining your tv persona and so a viewer can connect with you on some level.

4) are you creative? clever?
There's always an opportunity to be creative clever. In fact, maybe I should have included funny. Being spontaneous or witty or innovative never hurts. My casting video had all sorts of cool stuff in it, so I think that really helped get me on the show. I invented a dance called the contra dance. I've been meaning to put it on the web, so maybe I'll do that soon if I have enough space somewhere. The premise was dancing to the video game Contra's music while performing a dance that integrated the most famous password of all time. Need I say more? But being able to think on your toes is of the utmost importance; no one wants someone who freezes under pressure (see finale... haha).

5) are you genuine? and personable?
They don't always want nice or sincere people, but they do want you to be consistent, i.e. be yourself. If you try to act your way onto the show, it almost always shows. Most often because you're trying too hard. If you approach people and interactions from a personable and honest way, it'll get you a lot further, even if your way is dogmatic or critical.

6) do you have the 'geek' look and talk to you?
Ok so this one is specifically aimed at geeks. My apologies. But if you want to be a geek, you have to talk and look like a geek. I wore polos to all of my interviews. In fact, I'm wearing a polo as I write this. I don't suggest wearing a polo and i in fact got questioned about my shirt being a brand name 'polo' but luckily i stole it from a friend and liked how it fit on me. As for the talk, Karl and I were talking on the phone yesterday and used alliteration in a sentence. If that sounds like something you would do, then you have nothing to worry about. Using computer speak will only get you so far.

There's a lot more to getting on a show. Patience is important. Not looking hideous is important. Eye contact is important. Hydration is important. Tone of your voice is important. The list goes on, but these are less important than those listed above. As for being a beauty on batg, the main theme was saying stupid things. It wasn't actually being stupid, but rather being unfamiliar with something or not asking good questions or pretending to know something you didn't. The consistent instinct was to talk before thinking; I'm guilty of this too. The girls provided the one liners and the guys provided fear.

I hope this helps. If you think you have what it takes, comes to the open casting calls for Beauty and the Geek 3. Or come hang out w/ some of the Chicago cast members at the Chicago one. We'll be going out on the town looking for potential people as well. If you want to suggest someone, email bg3casting@yahoo.com.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do the contestants have to be US citizens?

11:10 PM  
Blogger Joe Block said...

I honestly don't know. There's a contract available to check out on www.thewb.com. That will probably let you know or you can email bg3casting@yahoo.com.

I think this season will be the same w/ geeky guys and beautiful girls. The reversal will either be a spinoff or next season.

We'll be going out thurs, fri and sat searching for people in chicagoland. they're probably doing the same in other cities as well this weekend and next.

best of luck if you're trying out. i highly recommend doing the show if you can. it was a great experience. ok im rambling, per usual.

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I just checked; you have to be a citizen or a PR. I'm a student on an F-1 visa. =\

Oh well. I wouldn't have been able to try out anyway. I'm a female geek, majoring in mechanical engineering, and I do well at school =(
......... okay never thought I'd ever be sad about that lol. I really hope they do the reversal though!

By the way it was always a pleasure watching you on TV Joe! You and Brittany made a great team! =)

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am very, very, VERY disappointed that the gender roles are not going to be reversed in this new season. what a shame.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think there would be that many people watching if the gender roles were reversed...

Alas, I'm canadian, so I can't apply. I don't think I'm quite geeky enough either... Yes I major in math/stats BUT, I bodybuild, and it's very obvious that I work out! :(

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this has nothing to do with the casting calls, but i just wanted to say that i really enjoyed season 2. good stuff. you and brittany were among my favorites on the show (karl being another...). hope you all are doing well.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Anon b/c I don't have a blogger account) I've thought about trying out for a reality show many times. One thing that's unclear is who takes care of business while you're away doing the show. Will your boss understand? Will you still get paid? Can you use disability leave? How about the mortgage, utilities, mail, subscriptions, and all those other responsibilities?
PS - Love your blog. Keep up the good work. Lots and lots more Amanda updates, please.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home